Friday, December 7, 2012

Reservoir Dogs (1992)

DIRECTOR: Quentin Tarantino
STUDIO: Live Entertainment
STARRING: Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen
RATING: R
GENRE: Crime, Thriller

GRADE: A


It's amazing how a first directing work can be so brilliant. Charlie Chaplin, Orson Welles, John Huston, Mel Brooks,Christopher Nolan, The Cohan Brothers, Rob Reiner. And it would be a sin to omit Tarantino from this list.

"Reservoir Dogs" is a film about a group of hired robbers, who are all under code names by colors. (Mr. Blue, Mr. Blonde, Mr. Orange, etc.) When the heist goes wrong, there is suspect of a snitch in the group. Tensions grow higher and eventually, something will come to a boil.

Out of any Tarantino film, this is probably his best dialogue. Almost every line is quotable, especially the opening diner scene. The acting is wonderful, especially from Harvey Keitel (Mr. White) who embodies his character completely.

Direction has almost no flaws, and the ending is one of my favorite last scenes of any movie I have ever seen. However, my complaint is I never do like seeing the director in the movie, but that's just my taste. Cameos are fine, but to be a character with a purpose seems a bit...narcissistic to me. (That includes Brooks and Welles and any other director who does it) Only reason it is not an "A+" is because I feel that some minor details from the opening scene could have been resolved with more explanation.

I wish I had more to say about this film, but honestly it is just a work of art that everyone needs to see. And while some scenes can get graphic (you should expect that) it is a wonderfully and artistically done film.

No comments:

Post a Comment