Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 (2003-2004)

DIRECTOR: Quentin Tarantino
STUDIO: Miramax Films
STARRING:  Uma Thurman, David Carradine, Daryl Hannah
RATING: R
GENRE: Action, Thriller

GRADE: B


I waited far too long to see this film - and yes, I count these separate films as one, and I shall get to that later.

This film is about a pregnant bride (Thurman) that was tortured and shot on her wedding day, by Bill (Carradine) the father of her child. [Now, don't think of this as spoiling, you discover this within the first few minutes of the story] The Bride vows her revenge on Bill, and his four accomplices for torturing her and causing her to lose her baby.

As Tarantino-esque as this film is, by the style and violence level, this is probably my least of the four I have seen. The story lacks originality. A revenge story about a hurt person - nothing new or inventive, expect maybe the use of weapons. There are very similar plots in other films that were better executed (The Godfather, Memento, True Grit). Those films have a higher quality because it focuses less on the how they achieved their vengeance, but how their character developed and changed through that achievement.

Also, I have never really enjoyed Uma Thurman's work - and that may just be my preference. Even though I saw her act as a strong warrior, I just could not take her seriously. Again, do not let this change your preference of viewing this movie, that is just my take on Thurman as an actress.

Now, that I have said so many negative things, it's time to discuss the positive! This is Tarantino's best film cinematography-wise. So much of the visuals are brilliant and stunning, which add to the relatively average story. So many of the fight sequences are the best I have ever seen, including classic westerns. Even though you would assume a 30-minute fight sequence would be repetitive, Tarantino finds a way to keep you on the edge.

I consider these two separate movies as one film because to truly understand the story and development is to watch them one after the other. Another reason I think like this is because I believe both movies stretched about 15 minutes each, and if they hadn't it would have been a little over two and half hours long as one film.

Regardless of how I feel about the story, all supporting characters are wonderful and very entertaining, and I do not even need to speak of Tarantino's directing - his name almost speaks for itself.

Solid "B."




No comments:

Post a Comment